A 46-year-old woman died after being admitted to the hospital for mushroom poisoning. The amazing thing is that the woman had consumed a mushroom dish at a Michelin-starred restaurant in Valencia, Spain. The protagonist of this story was called Maria Jesus Fernandez Calvo and apparently she was in this luxurious restaurant in the company of her husband and 10-year-old son, when he suddenly felt ill and specifically started vomiting and having diarrhea. With the passing of the minutes, unfortunately, the woman's health conditions had become so much worse that emergency hospitalization was necessary, where the woman died the next day. Even the husband and son would have accused the values and ended up in the hospital together with 9 other people who apparently had consumed the same dish.
A moment of celebration for the family begins is transformed into a real tragedy. The victim along with her husband and son were celebrating the head of the family's birthday and decided to go for lunch in the famous Riff restaurant, which is one of the most expensive and well known for experimental cuisine. According to reports this place seems to be located in one of the most elegant areas of the city and was also awarded for very important awards including the Michelin star and only two Repsol, which for those who do not know is a guide to restaurants very much important and famous.
Apparently the culprit is a fungus called morchella that can be eaten but only after a very long cooking. For the uninitiated this is a genus belonging to the Morchellace family and it is mushrooms that are like sponges. They are described in as many as 15 species including six that are found only in Europe and whose differentiation seems to be rather uncertain. In any case, all species can be consumed only after boiling and are poisonous from raw because the toxin contained in them is known as Helvellian acid, which can only be destroyed by boiling or drying. There is also the false morel, or gyromitra esculenta, which is very similar to the morchella but is much more poisonous. At the moment this fungus has been removed from the market due to some dangerous poisoning due to its ingestion.