The Christmas star and a nice piece of chocolate can sweeten the parties, but be careful if you have cats and dogs at home: because this plant and what was once called "the food of the gods" can be harmful, if not lethal , for our four-legged friends.
Christmas stars and cocoa are just some of the consumer products that are found at home that can hurt our hairy companions. Let's see others together.
CHOCOLATE - We said it: cocoa is toxic for both dogs and cats. The risk factor is theobromine, a substance that in domestic animals can cause irregular heartbeat, tremors, nausea and vomiting, until death in case of large quantities ingested.
ICE CREAM AND SWEETS - Even ice cream is highly discouraged: cases of lactose intolerance in dogs or cats are not rare. In general, all sweets and sugary foods are harmful to our furry friends: they can cause dental problems, promote diabetes and, like us humans, make you fat.
GRAPES AND GRAPES - Even these fruits, due to their high sugar content, should be avoided. Also in cats can cause serious intestinal and kidney problems.
DRIED FRUIT - Attention to traditional nuts and macadamia nuts, and more generally to dried fruit: they are toxic both for dogs and for cats.
ONION AND GARLIC - The presence of allyl sulfide can cause haemolytic anemia or stomach upset.
EGGS CRUDE - Crude can be harmful due to the presence in the egg whites of avidin, a protein that does not absorb the biotin, a substance in itself beneficial. As for humans there is also the risk of salmonella and Escherichia Coli.
WALNUT NUT - Spices should generally be kept away from dogs and cats, but be careful of nutmeg, because the presence of myristicine can irritate the nervous system. Better to avoid even sniffing it.
AVOCADO - Due to the presence of persine, a fungicide toxin, can cause intestinal and digestive problems in dogs and cats. The substance is present not only in the fruit, but also in the leaves, in the seeds and in the bark: be careful if you have an avocado plant.
BEANS AND BEANS - Especially if raw can cause intestinal problems such as diarrhea and gastroenteritis, but also intoxication.
COFFEE - It is toxic both for dogs and for cats: it can lead to tachycardia.
CHRISTMAS STAR - The sap is toxic to all four-legged friends: its ingestion can cause problems to the digestive system such as vomiting, diarrhea and the appearance of painful blisters in the mouth.
VISCO - Also this other Christmas plant is harmful: in particular, the red berries can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, hypersalivation and, in serious cases, death.